Yes, you read it right. Only 4 more days until I have to return to work and time is slipping through my hands. I wish I didn't have to go back but that's just life. I can honestly say I have enjoyed every minute at home with Eli even those first few nights that were totally sleep deprived! I often think how lucky Adam and I are to have Eli in our lives.
This past week has been a little busy & fun all at once. Eli and I have had some fun lunch dates with my girlfriends (who all have babies and are home right now) plus I am trying to stock up the freezer with meals so we can just heat up dinner quickly. Adam is still in school on Tuesday & Wednesday and those days are going to be especially busy so I want to be prepared. The other tricky part of my new schedule is trying to get out of the house in the morning flying solo. Adam leaves for work so early that I will not have an extra set of hands, on top of continuing to breast feed this can get tricky. But I am determined to get Eli breastfed until he is 4 months old.
My only worry right now is that Eli has dropped the 1 am feeding in the middle of the night which is fabulous but now he wakes at 3:30am to be changed & fed. Once that process is over it is 4:15am. Going back to sleep at that hour is rough because I feel like I am in a coma when I do wake up to Eli on the monitor at 7:15 am. Come Monday I need to be nursing Eli by 6am so that after I have enough time to get myself showered & ready then out the door by 8am.
The dilemma here is (I know this sounds CRAZY) should I just stay up after that 4:15am process is over? Sometimes I think I would feel better than falling back into that really deep sleep. I really don't know what to do. If I did stay up then I could have a cup of coffee & get a workout in on our treadmill in our basement as well as a quick strength training DVD. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea....I have never been a person that require 8hrs of sleep in the past so I might be able to handle it.
The other hope is that maybe Eli will drop this 3:30am wake up period very soon & just get up a little later so that it all works out nicely. That would be fantastic if it happened by Monday. LOL....I know I can't plan on it though!
Another thought is if I did get my morning workout in then I could shower & be all ready by the time Eli woke up. That would be at 7am, then I could feed him/ get him ready and out the door earlier which would mean I am home earlier from work. I just wonder if this is too much for me to tackle on top of all my emotions. Or will the execising help me create a healthy balance?
Let's be honest here, I have been crying for a few days now just knowing I won't be with Eli all day....UGH!
3 comments:
I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same boat less than two weeks ago. It's tough to leave them with DC and return to work, and I won't lie: the first day will be especially tough.
But it does get easier (although, I still feel a little pang each time I drop Norah off), and you might find you also like being back at work.
As far as the sleep/working out thing goes, I can say that 5 am is the only time that works for me to workout. It sucks, but it's what works. Granted, 4:15 is even earlier, but you might be better off, like you said.
And soon, I bet he's sleeping through the night! So, maybe only a few more weeks of the middle-of the-night wake up calls.
Thanks Jess, I know I will make it through somehow! It is nice to know I am not the only one going through it!
My son was born in July & I've been back to work for about a month. I know everyone is different, but honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I enjoy being back at work and interacting with adults all day, and I get excited when I get to pick him up from daycare!
Also, I'm able to work out a few times a week around 7, since my husband does the morning daycare drop-off and I just shower and get ready at the gym. My son usually wakes up around 3 a.m. and goes back to sleep from 4-6:30.
Post a Comment