Friday, July 24, 2009

Say hello to my little friend - Braxton Hicks

Today is the first day I have started to feel Braxton Hicks contractions and they are somewhat painful & scary all at once. If I move myself in another position they seem to go away or if I am sitting and get up to start walking that works too.

From Baby Center:

How can I tell the difference between Braxton Hicks and true labor contractions?

In the days or weeks before labor, Braxton Hicks contractions may intermittently become rhythmic, relatively close together, and even painful, possibly fooling you into thinking you're in labor. But unlike true labor, during this so-called false labor the contractions don't grow consistently longer, stronger, and closer together. Try drinking a couple of glasses of water, since these contractions can sometimes be brought on by dehydration. If you're past 37 weeks, there's no need to call your doctor or midwife just for contractions until they last about 60 seconds each and are five minutes apart — unless your caregiver has advised you otherwise.


So that is the deal...I could have these contractions for a long time very sporadically or things could come together quickly. All I know is that they freaked me out enough to "officially" pack my hospital bag this evening!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Yeah, I've been feeling them for the past week, but no "real" contractions have followed.

Sarah said...

OMG!! So exciting.